I have been on a blogging hiatus and decided to start back up. I recently quit my full time job and am part time working for a few months. My heart has been filled with joy after quitting. Side note: That is how you know it is the right decision.
I have been filling my days with art, my husband and two dogs. I have actually spent time with friends too. I normally do not have the time. I am still busy and block time off for working on my art but I have the freedom to move my hours to accommodate ate some fun.
I will be posting on Facebook, Instagram, and here. Eventually, I will be posting some art pieces different places as well. Right now I am just doing art and enjoying the process.
See you soon.
Here are two layouts I have done recently. Just playing in layers. ENJOY!
I bought this ledger on Etsy and I love it. I started adding mixed media pages to it recently and I thought I would share the process.
I lightly gesso the pages allowing the lines to peek through.
I add random marks and added some ephemera with gel medium.
I really love these Golden Fluid Acrylics because they are thinner they do not add a lot of bulk to my pages. You can also just water down your paints.
Add more random marks to add depth to the page.
Here is the end result. At the end of each project I like to take note of what I learned and what I loved about the layout. I try not to focus too much on what I do not love about this layout. I journal to learn and to express my emotions through art. It ONLY needs to make sense to you. Twyla Tharp describes this type of thing as scratching in her book, The Creative Habit. It is definitely a book I will read again and again. But I like her thoughts on what she calls “scratching”. She is a dancer but her book is universal to creatives. I have decided that art journaling is my way of scratching. I work out so much and exercise my creative brain.
I have been craving some changes in my art room. Right now it is just subtle changes but I am making some plans for a new desk and few other things. The rearranging has me in here more and I have some fun ideas to share with your soon.
If you are in the Denali area Tonglen Lake Lodge is your Central Perk, or your Cheers. We love it there. A friend and I took our journals and her boys out. The little Artisan Cafe filled our belly with YUM and the outdoors filled our eyes with delight. We love it there.
This sunshine, wildflowers, and my bike have been making my heart happy. I can’t get enough.
I normally have a bunch of journals hanging around and I add left over paint to them as I go. Later when I am journaling I make it a challenge to make something of the scraps. Here there is left over paint and doodles.
The best part of art journaling is the freedom to just let loose. I throw crazy colors down scribble if I want and just play. It is very relaxing and fun with no pressure of making a masterpiece.
This journal has random tip outs. I like them for an extra challenge to a page. This one I tied together by using circles and scribbled words.
A closer look….”be yourself”.
You can’t really see it but on her dress I wrote the words….
“We are all royal and beautiful in his eyes.” Over and over.
Since I started working I have found my weekly travels are short. This week I worked, then Friday night I enjoyed a night in, the kids came home from school to watch the big game, I drove to town for a trip to Michaels, and we had Sunday brunch at 229 Parks….my new favorite place to eat. If you are going to be in the Denali area it is a must try.
Instagram ::: leaca_travels
1. I am always in love with vinyl but this George Fitzgerald album fit my mood tonight and he really is not my style of music. Sometimes you just need something different.
2. Podcasts and Audible are my go to happy place these days. This week I have been listening to Elise Gets Crafty. There are three seasons and so I can fill my day listening while I am at work. It has been the perfect way to stimulate my creative brain while I am sitting at an office desk working a day job.
3. Tea time! I am in love with this Citrus Lavender Sage tea. It is the perfect evening herbal tea and the flavors sound like they might be weird together but they are not. Get some. You won’t regret it. I do have to lightly sweeten it but I just count it as my treat for the night.
4. Midori planners have been on my wish list for a long time. I follow boards on pinterest and even made my own board. I bought one for my son for Christmas and fell in love with his. I ordered one and I only have the insert to play with right now and I love it. I will keep you posted when I receive the whole thing. I am sure my instagram will be loaded with pictures.
5. The Happy Reader and I became fast friends a year ago when the first issue came and had a whole section dedicated to educating us about tea. I was hooked. I like that it is not mainstream. I can’t get these articles anywhere else. They are written well and have topics and interviews that I would have never thought to seek out. It is a treasure when it arrives.
NOW THE WINNER OF the GIVEAWAY
I downloaded the random number generator and it #3 was the winner. Bridget Piscoya if you email me with your address I will send your prize ASAP.
Thank you to all who participated.